Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Feeling virtuous....

I had a very healthy weekend. I decided this month to not drink any alcohol whatsoever while I'm on Clomid and see if that helps its effectiveness. It was a bank holiday weekend here in Ireland and I'm pleased to say not one drop of the demon drink did pass my lips.



I also got out for a 3 mile walk on Sunday morning. One good thing about the town we live in is that there are plenty of walking paths. One of the more popular ones passes near to our house, so every so often I take a walk there. Part of the walk is lined with some really beautiful trees, mainly horse chestnut, so it's particularly pretty this time of the year.

I also started my Christmas shopping yesterday. I don't normally start this early, but I was in a shopping centre and saw something I thought one of my in laws might like, so I bought it. I also got the ingredients for my annual attempt at baking. I appointed myself as Christmas cake supplier to my parents in law a few years back, and now that I've established this tradition I feel like there's no backing out on the job. John's sister used always make a Christmas cake for their mother, and since she passed away I have taken up the baton. I love the smell of baking around the house, but I wouldn't bake a Christmas cake just for John and I as we would eat the whole thing ourselves in the space of a few days. So I make a cake for my in laws, and I usually end up bringing a quarter of it home to our house. I just have to get myself into the mood for baking.

I finished the clomid last night, and am happy to report that I haven't morphed into a wailing banshee so far. Note the so far, this may be subject to change. I did have one or two tetchy moments on Sunday when we were wrestling with the grating blade on my food processor, but apart from that I've been ok I think. Felt a bit "yuck, I don't want to go to work today" this morning, but I'd say that's a natural reaction to Tuesday morning after a bank holiday.

I'm starting accupuncture this evening, and after that I'm off to the gym to start my new fitness programme. I had a fitness assessment on Friday evening (yes, I went to the gym on a Friday, wonders will never cease!) and I actually registered better results in lung capacity, resting heart rate and flexibility than I did the previous time I had one done last February. Mind you my weight was exactly the same as last time, but at least I haven't gained anything. So all in all I felt pretty happy with that. I'll report back on the accupuncture tomorrow.

I'm still gasping for a nice chilled glass of sauvignon blanc though.....

6 comments:

Liz said...

Hmmm .. we're not at home to little Miss Boasty.

Oh, Ok, grudging admiration that you aren't drinking and fitness results but Christmas shopping!? That's too much. Feel v. inadequate.

Have a glass on me on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

So far so good. Hope Clomid Banshee stays well away this time. As for all the over-achieving. Well. It's cold and dark. I've gone all useless.

Jane G said...

Ok, ok, I'll admit it, I always turn into a smug bitch when I go on a health kick. I'm a gemini, which means I am a person of extremes. I'm either on the wagon and all angelic and virtuous or I'm off it and I'm swigging wine/cider/gin and tonics and eating all the wrong kinds of food, while permanently welded to the sofa.

The Christmas shopping is a bit much though, I'll agree with you on that!

Sarah said...

Ooofa! Better you than me...I think I am actually allergic to endorphins, so I avoid working out. And well, I have decided to take up drinking as a hobby for the next month. At least one of us is being a healthy woman!

Martin said...

I've lost half a stone running up and down the feckin stairs after herself the last two days...

Leslie Laine said...

Good for you about the Clomid. Maybe her evil nature will bypass you this time! Hope so!

Drink a glass for me this weekend. I'm on the no-drink wagon right now, and it is horrible!