Wednesday, February 10, 2010

HSG done and dusted

I had the HSG yesterday morning. Well it wasn't as bad as I expected. The two neurofen extra that I popped an hour in advance undoubtedly helped, as did the quick whiff of rescue remedy I took as I changed into my hospital gown. The worst part was the waiting. The first nurse who came into the room was one of these very softly spoken "how are you lovey?" kind of women. To be honest she was making it a bit hard for me to switch off and relax, between the well intentioned sympathetic pats on the arm and glances. In the end I had to say that I was fine, just trying to relax. After about 15 minutes of faffing around the radiologist arrived, and said something about this not being the worst thing either of us had been through. I pointed out that he might find that easy to say, him being the one without the vagina. Luckily he had a sense of humour. I was given a injection of muscle relaxant and then we were ready for the off.

Another very nice nurse came in and let me squeeze the living daylights out of both her hands whilst the speculum went in. I remember having a "going anywhere nice on holidays?" conversation, to which I eagerly replied "Yes! We're off to Dubai in five weeks time". So through gritted teeth I had a conversation about how amazing Dubai is reputed to be, all the while a doctor I had never met before was shoving a plastic object up my lady business. The nice nurse had to go once the x-raying began, because of the radiation, so I was left to bite on the side of my gown while mumbling "ouch! fuck! stingy!" under my breadth. It was all over a lot quicker that I expected. It did sting a bit, but not too badly. The bad news is that my left tube is now blocked, due to the after effects of the ectopic pregnancy surgery. But the good news is that the right tube is still in good working order, so at least I am firing on one cylinder, so to speak.

So all in all, not the most pleasant experience I have ever been through, but nowhere near the most painful. Where we go from here with one blocked tube I do not know right now, but for the moment I am not going to dwell on it. When we get back from holidays we will start gearing up to get back on the ttc train.

12 comments:

BABY STEPS said...

Im glad it is behind you and it was not toooo horrible.

Bummer about the tube but good to know what you are dealing with.

I am jealous of your muscle relaxent given though!

Liz said...

Oh, I do enjoy that polite chit chat whilst someone is elbows deep in your flange.

Bad news about the left tube, did they give any indication as to whether it could be unblocked?

Sarah said...

You got a muscle relaxer?!

Well, glad things werent too terrible for you. And they do say that after an HSG your chances of conceiving are a tiny bit higherporelyt

Twangypearl the Elastic Girl said...

I totally sympathise. In those situations I just want to zone out and not have to do the small talk - last time I was waiting for an anaesthetist, I felt like I was being cross-questioned by the theatre nurses. Sigh. They do mean well!

Glad you got through it and can look forward your holiers. After that, you can think about the next move..

Martin said...

Flying on one wing is my favourite phrase.

Glad it's over and went ok.

Dubai...**drools**

Anonymous said...

Glad it wasn't too bad (muscle relaxant? Blimey. They prefer to leave us decidedly unrelaxed here in Blighty).

Very sorry about the blocked tube. Damn.

Oooh! Dubai! You jet-setter!

be said...

Glad it wasn't so bad...here in the States, I got the "take a couple of Tylenol beforehand", that's it...both times. Ugh!! I am so jealous!! Here's to the great meds you received!!! And good to know what you're dealing with, you can move forward with a plan when you're ready to start ttc:)

Lisa DG said...

Enjoy your holidays. I'll be thinking of you when you return to the ttc journey.

Mrs. Misfits said...

HSG's are brutal. Evidently, some women who don't have a blockage seem to do fine. I, too, have the one side firing. I think my Dr. was berating the nurse during mine, something I'm trying to forget. I'm glad it's over for you and you know what's up.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it through! Let us know what the doc says about unblocking the tube. But enjoy Dubai first!

Sarah said...

Hey lady, long time no "see".

How are things?

Anonymous said...

This makes me sad for you as my best friend and husband have been trying for years with no luck, lots of complications, lots of money down the drain, and lots of tears. Lots of sadness all around! Am so sorry you are also going through pregnancy problems. God Bless!